Saturday, August 29, 2015

Positive procrastination

I came across a great blog today, while I was procrastinating.  It was a general procrastinate, nothing specific. I had some spare time, so I used it positively, to procrastinate for style and goodness.


The blog is called Idiosyncratic Fashionistas, and they are also on
instagramJean and Valerie describe themselves as "style bloggers for "women of a certain age setting a bad, bad example for older women everywhere".

Since this is roughly my own mission statement, I was drawn to them immediately. Of course my own mission statement also includes setting a bad example to younger women too; not to forget my obsession with round eyeglasses and hats. 

Since my focus has been on wardrobe, I've been doing a spot of alterations and dressmaking for myself.  I bought a pumpkin coloured boiled wool coat when I was in Paris.  I decided I wasn't happy with the collar, so a $7 scarf, a snip here, a tuck there and some handsewing et voila!


I love boiled wool, so easy to manage.  It can be re-blocked at will and is super warm and rain-resistant.  


Last week I made a dress and adapted a top in linen from Tessuti, using their 'Eva' pattern and some linen I bought a while ago from their Melbourne store.


I just looked quickly on their site to get the link and they seem to have more lovely linen in stock.  Oh Dear...

And this morning the interweb advised me solemnly that Sew Tina Givens, a US site had the pattern for this

on sale so with a few keystrokes and an outrageous Aus/US exchange rate, it will be winging it's way to Australia. 

Some years ago I bought a Pfaff sewing machine.  There was, I subsequently found, a timing problem with that model which no amount of servicing would cure.  If anyone else is experiencing that problem with their machine, I can heartily recommend having a removalist toss the machine into a carton (and I do mean 'toss'), and transport it a few thousand miles on trucks and ships.  It seems to have had time to rethink it's options and is sewing beautifully.  Perhaps the overlocker had a quiet word while they travelled together.

Now, if I can only remember how to thread the overlocker...



No comments:

Post a Comment