Saturday, April 9, 2011

Patterns


Biiiiig week this week.

A late blast of summer with warm days and warm nights, followed by the first of the westerly weather patterns for the year. Later in the week, some really big rain, which was so refreshing after the warm. We have a thing here - it generally rains at night and is sunny during the day as we ease towards winter. Everything looks and smells clean and fresh and green. You go to sleep with the sound of rain on the roof.

I found something I didn't know I had lost, and realised that it was really pretty special.

I was reminded how beautiful the south coast of WA is. When you see it all the time sometimes you forget, but when you see it through someone else's eyes for the first time it can take your breath away.

I started to prepare for the move from my summer outdoor sitting room (the front veranda) to my winter one ( the back veranda). The view is not so spectacular, but there is less likelihood of hypothermia. The sun comes in and its sheltered from the wind. The chairs are comfy and it's peaceful. I will be able to work my way through my book stash in the fresh air.


There is a couch under the window in the kitchen which perfectly captures the winter sun and is perfect for Sunday afternoon sloth.

I watched an owl being chased by crows as I walked to work. I've seen this a few times and hope it's the same owl, and it gets away every time. Hawks hunt the crows, so I guess it evens out in the end.


I found a lovely little piece at a garage sale. It belonged to the man's father, he used it as a shaving cabinet. It's been neglected but won't be that hard to restore. I also sorted out the workbench in order to be able to start the process.

I put something in a skip. This was most unusual, some would say unheard of. (Someone commented once that my rubbish bin doesn't get much of a workout.) True, I prefer to re-use or re-purpose anything which can be. It was an interesting experience, the skip experience, but minimalism isn't me. I felt slightly wasteful. I didn't even check to see if there was anything I wanted, I just walked away.

There will be other skips.








No comments:

Post a Comment