Sunday, March 25, 2012

Power tools, glue, paint and soil and a girl's night out in Toyland.

Ouch, my hands hurt.  I've been up to my wrists in paint and glue and soil and sawdust for 3 happy days and even managed to do some housework.  My fingers are dehydrated from being immersed in chemical cocktails of paint and turpentine, poked into garden beds and pots, splintered, cut, sandpapered, and sawdusted. 

They feel like dehydrated chicken claws.  Now was NOT the time for my several tubes of ultra-soaking hand creams to have run out.

I found this little item yesterday.  It was sad, sad, sad but I replaced the legs with a set I picked up from the Denmark Tip Shop a couple of weeks ago.  I made the weird pointy things and some very ugly varnish touchups go away. Thanks to Gilly Stephenson's Dark Wood Scratch Remover, it's now looking smoooth.  I need some sort of teeny tiny knob for the door but I'm sure it will show up. 


















I introduced my new friend to the other tools, and they seem happy to co-exist.  As drills go, this is a Drill.  I can make new, bigger things. It's orange.  My other new but slightly older friend is a multi-tool, it sands, cuts, slices.  It too is pretty cool.









I found these little girls on my rambles last week, they're really lovely.  When I arranged them on an old Scrabble board for photographs, I thought they looked a bit like a Toyland jailhouse lineup, perhaps after a big night out.  They certainly look as though they had a good time.  The clothes are hand-sewn  and  sweet vintage fabric.  The hair can be reglued and I love that the ones on the left and right have eyes that open and close in that very intense 'my eyes are open now' way.  




I'm watching Stephen Fry's Planet Word while I write this.  I love Stephen Fry, he's truly wonderful on every level.  The program is brilliant,  but I keep having flashbacks to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I have to remind myself that the voiceover is not going to mention Slartibartfast and the fjords. 
Probably. 

My new word du jour is omnishambles, by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment