Sunday, March 17, 2013

the enigma of the residual smile











A grey and misty week, with occasional downpours, interspersed with rare but welcome rays of cheering sunshine and a residual enigmatic smile. 

I have a Big Trip coming up soon, and in a wardrobe containing such a lot of black clothes, it's sometimes hard to find particular items.  Especially in a dark room. (This has been on ongoing issue when getting ready for work.) I've set aside a small mountain of items which I'll (unbelievably) cull down to 2 pairs of jeans, one pair of black pants - plenty to choose from - some (not black)layering tops, a jumper, and a jacket. Plain black skirt optional.

On the upside, I've done all the stain removal, and mending, on a bunch of stuff I won't take. 


I dug the suitcase out, causing the dog to go into anxiety meltdown.  He clings to me now like a - well, a furry anxious clingy thing. It's going to be a long few weeks, passed in a cloud of dog fur with occasional whimpering (probably from me.)

I'm also wondering whether I should keep, or sell, my Union Jack Doc Martens.  My mother was fond of the phrase 'mutton dressed as lamb', and one reaches an age where one scans the crowd for an accusatory 'baa'.  On the other hand, I have always wanted to grow old quite disgracefully. Being the old girl in the rocking chair, tripping up the nursing staff with a daintily extended Doc certainly has appeal.


That enigmatic smile just hangs in there.





No comments:

Post a Comment