Sunday, March 27, 2011

Tobruk, taxidermy, and trainers

A sunny few days - warm to the point of bored with it now. Never mind, I'm sure it is just a small hiccup and it will rain again soon, so best to enjoy it while it lasts. I took advantage of the day to bath the dog - he was unamused and remains somewhat sniffy about the whole business.

I spent some time yesterday looking through a pile of Pix magazines from 1941 - 43. I've been meaning to do it for ages and a chance conversation with someone who is looking for items on Tobruk, combined with the need to sit in the cool on the front verandah, proved fruitful.

I decided to scan a few bits which I think I might find a use for in particular, some great images, interesting articles, and some lovely ads. I shall devote some more attention to them soon. I have included a few favourite bits here.


The spin on the war articles, the fashion items, the stories of Hollywood glamour, all made riveting reading.
We went out saling (garage saling, that is) today, although we usually have a rest day on Sunday. This is, of course, because we have usually spent the cash allocation on Saturday. We ended up at a deceased estate sale, slightly out of town, full of rusty bits. I do love a good shed sale.



I felt a bit sorry for the kids hopping out of the car to go in to look for toys.

Although I gathered a number of interesting things, including a (coffee) tin of brass sprinklers - to become the bases of small sculptures - some unidentified bits the best of all was scrap from the big bins marked 'free'. I did point out that all the copper pipe in the free bins could be used by the lady for conversion to cash - they are worth a bit. She dragged them back into the shed, for the benefit of the nice lady selling the stuff.


From the content of the sale, the owner of the shed had been a horse trainer, possibly a farrier. There were lots of things to do with horses hooves, as well as tack. It's so sad to see that sort of equipment, and the skills, dispersing. I know there are still farriers about and that their skills are highly prized, but those skills of working with your hands are so important.

I can see why the handmade movement is growing around the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment