Sunday, August 7, 2011

Neopagan, occultist, ceremonial magician, and anarchist: how ducky...

I have been musing on musing as a pastime.  Some may call this staring into the middle distance, with prejudice.  I prefer to think of it as gathering my thoughts, indexing them and stashing them with the others.    Some would say it's the best place for them.

A quick dash through Vinnies last week yielded 2 handcarved wooden ducks.  I think they were handmade as they seemed to have some interesting joints and some very interesting bits where it looked like plaster had been used as filler instead of wood putty.  A little work, a little plaster removal. Some paint. Two rather ducky ornaments.  If I'm ever hunting wooden ducks I have the perfect decoys.

I remembered a great song about ducks, which I was unsurprised to learn was available on YouTube - you can watch it here.  I think that ducks are underestimated and we should watch them more closely.
I note that the lead singer of the Sinister Ducks, and the creator of the song, was known as Translucia Baboon, and described as neopagan, occultist, ceremonial magician, and anarchist.  His photo from wikipedia is not a complete surprise.  I think I shall have to have a little lay down -  YouTube and wikipedia in one day, it's all too much.  I see that I am not the only midcentury modernist not aging gracefully, and that's a good thing.



Otherwise an uninspiring week, treasure hunting-wise.  Positively barren of excitement, despite advertised deceased estate sales.  I'm working on some new bits and pieces, which will eventually show up here. I'm looking for my original Sinister Ducks record, with artwork by Translucia.   In the meantime - I shall continue to muse.

1 comment: